Do you have concerns about falling or know somebody who does?
BHB offers a program called "A Matter of Balance" which can help reduce the fear of falling and increase activity levels in older adults.
What do participants learn?
Who should take this class? Older adults who:
- View falls and fear of falling controllable
- Set realistic goals for increasing activity
- Change their environment to reduce fall risk factors
- Promote exercise to increase strength and balance
What does the class entail?
- are concerned about falls
- have sustained a fall in the past
- restrict activities because of concerns about falling
- are interested in improving flexibility, balance and strength
- are age 60 or older, ambulatory and able to problem solve
What is the cost?
- Participants attend 8 two hour classes lead by certified coaches
- Classes are held with a group of no more than 12 older adults
- Sessions include group discussion, problem solving, confidence building, home safety assessment, and a low impact 30 minute exercise component.
Where is the class held?
- A Matter of Balance is a FREE program
Want to be involved with the class in other ways?
- The program is held in a variety of locations such as churches, senior centers, recreation centers, and senior housing.
How do I sign up or get more information?
- You can help lead A Matter of Balance as a coach! Coach teams consist of two people willing to lead a total of 16 hours of class.
A Matter of Balance: Managing Concerns About Falls Volunteer Lay Leader Model ©2006.This program is based on Fear of Falling: A Matter of Balance. Copyright ©1995 Trustees of Boston University. All rights reserved. Used and adapted by permission of Boston University.